Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Jamaica Shore Excursion

Dunn's River Falls seems to be the most popular excursion while in port at Ocho Rios. After much research, it seems booking a private tour is the best way to go. First, it is quite a bit less expensive. But more importantly, a private tour operation will ensure that you avoid the crowd that descends on the falls when the cruise ship bus arrives.

If we get enough folks who are interested, we can probably make it a private tour. But either way, we will definitely need to book this kind of thing advance. Tours start as low as $30, and a four and half hour tour that includes a trip the falls, plus a tube ride down the river runs around $50-55 per person.

Here are a couple of tour operators that come highly recommended from a number of cruise and travel bulletin boards.

9 comments:

marmnyc said...

Dunn's River Falls doesn't really work for us - everything I've read says it's not recommended for small children. We'll probably end up sticking close by the ship at Margaritaville. But we can't wait to hear about it at dinner!
The Family Eck

Nicky said...

I'm not really planing to leave the ship--it is just too much time away from the bar--I think Douglas would agree with me on that sentiment :)

Joan said...

So does this mean no one is interested in the Canopy Tour? That's the one where you float over the jungle on a harness system of pulleys on horizontal traverses. (Not to be confused with a canapé tour - which you can probably do at the bar.)

marmnyc said...

Mmm, canapes. Sign me up - I love the cheese puffs and the ones with the caviar sprinkled on top.

dcdiva said...

I suggested the Zipline (that's what they call the the appartus) to Doug since I figured it would be right up his alley. But he's nursing a back injury so he just groaned!

marmnyc said...

I think there's a zipline in Labadee too. And no, I won't be doing that either.

Nicky said...

Joan I am sure Liz would be up for the zipline tour with you and I would be thrilled to join you and Melissa for the canape tour.

Anonymous said...

"JA Makin Me Crazy" Still talking to Dane at this point about what our plans will be but my back is better an i wanna jump off of something high or go really fast somewhere or hit an atv trail.....you know all thae things that get your adrenaline pumping.........not to mention when you mix the amount of alcohal that will be in my system at this point we are talking about a 9 foot tall bullet proof doug taht wants to do something that would normally hurt!!!

Liz said...

Negative on the Zip Line eventhough I am certified on Rope. I'm beach bound with several cocktails.